First lesson started today. I had a chat with Anika on the concept of programming language. I tell her what it is and then ask her to explain it in her own ways (with some help from mummy!). Captured Anika’s response to the question “What is a programming language?” in a YouTube video below:
Awesome! I intend to repeat this lesson a few times in the next few days.
I went on after that to show her a glimpse of the first programming language that she has to learn just to reinforce the idea into her head.
- loaded a copy of ChipMunk Basic http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic/
- explain to her what a double quote is and how to press it on the keyboard
- demonstrate to Anika a simple instruction using the keyword print in the syntax print “xxx” where xxx is what we want the computer to say to us
- demonstrated in front of her -- print “anika”, print “mummy”
- ask her to write a simple instruction print “anika” (Anika know’s how to spell her name at present) -- the word print is unclear to her though
She grew tired after that and wanted to do something else. I think that’s enough excitement for the day!